Hi Fred

1. Yes, this has been done multiple times, including in our original 2002 paper:
https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/ftp/articles/fischl02-labeling.pdf

2. You can manually edit, but it's a lot more work. In the cortex minor interventions can lead to large improvements in accuracy. Unfortunately we have no such algorithm subcortically. That said, things are usually quite accurate except in a small percentage of cases.