Hi Jeff

it's more complicated than that. You need a .mgz volume for every subject you want to train on that contains the labels, and an accompanying intensity volume (we usually use the norm.mgz for this purpose). Then we extract statistics to create the .gca across these subjects using mri_ca_train

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012, Jeff Thompson wrote:

>From the gcaFormat freesurfer wiki page I know that: The .gca file is
composed of three volumes, which can be extracted like this:

mri_convert atlas.gca -nth 0 means.mgz
mri_convert atlas.gca -nth 1 labels.mgz
mri_convert atlas.gca -nth 2 priors.mgz

where:

*
    means --> the mean intensity of the most likely label

*
    labels --> indices of the most likely label at each voxel (indices refer
    to '#No.' column of $FREESURFER_HOME/FreeSurferColorLUT.txt)

*
    priors --> the probability that that label occurs at that voxel

Is it possible to go the other way? I want to create the labels.mgz file and
the others manually, and turn that into the .gca file with mri_convert.

Can this be done?

Thank you,

Jeff Thompson