Hi Mahinda, sorry for the delay, answers below

On 10/15/2012 02:13 PM, Mahinda Yogarajah wrote:
> Dear Experts,
>
> I apologise for the repost but I was wondering if anyone could guide
> me with respect to deriving lobar measures and whether the commands
> below are correct . Thanks. M
>
> _GM Lobar Values_**
>
> (1) mri_annotation2label --subject subject1 --hemi ?h --lobesStrict
> lobesfile
>
> (2) mri_anatomical_stats –mgz /–cortex../label/?h.cortex.label/ –f
> ../stats/?h.lobesfiles.stats –b –a ../label/?h.lobesfile.annot
> subject1 ?h white
>
> Q: Is this valid?
Yes

> Q:Do I need to include that part of the command in italics
> (-cortex...?hcortex.label) - is it not redundant given the use of the
> ?h.lobesfile.annot - using one or the other does give a different
> result at the top of the stats file (namely NumVert, WhiteSurfArea,
> and mean thickness which disappears if ?h.cortex.label is not passed)
> - why is this ?
The --cortex option has it report stats for the cortex as a whole. The
individual label stats should not change.

> _WM Lobar Values_
>
> (1) mri_annotation2label --subject subject1 –hemi ?h --lobesStrict
> lobesfile
>
> (2) mri_aparc2seg --s subject1 --labelwm /--hypo-as-wm --rip-unknown
> --volmask --o mri/wmparc.lobar.mgz --ctxseg aparc+aseg.mgz/ --annot
> ?h.lobesfile.annot
>
> Q: Is this valid ?
>
> Q: Do I need all the items in italics (hypo...rip...volmask)- they are
> present in the recon-all logfile but not in some forum posts on
> similar topics.
>
> (3a) mri_segstats --seg mri/wmparc.lobar.mgz --sum
> stats/wmparc.lobar.stats --pv mri/norm.mgz /--empty/ --excludeid 0
> /--excl-ctxgmwm/ /--supratent //--subcortgray/ --in mri/norm.mgz
> --in-intensity-name norm --in-intensity-units MR --subject subject1
> --surf-wm-vol /--surf-ctx-vol/ /--totalgray/ --ctab newcolourtable --etiv
>
> OR
>
> (3b) mri_segstats --seg mri/wmparc.lobar.mgz --sum
> stats/wmparc.lobar.stats --pv mri/norm.mgz --excludeid 0
> /--brain-vol-from-seg --brainmask mri/norm.mgz / --in mri/norm.mgz
> --in-intensity-name norm --in-intensity-units MR --subject subject1
> --surf-wm-vol --ctab newcolourtable --etiv
>
> Q: Which of these should I be using - the latter is based on the
> recon-all log file, while the former is based on forum posts - what
> are the differences.
They should give the same stats for each label. Part of the difference
is the reporting of various whole-brain stats (eg, --brain-vol-from-seg
will compute the total brain volume based on the number of voxels in the
segmentation); this measures are already in aseg.stats, but it might be
convenient to have them in your new stats file. The --empty will tell it
not to report labels in the colortable if they do not have any voxels in
the segmentation.
doug

> Thanks.
>
> Mahinda