It sounds like you need a conjunction to show that P4 > P1 AND P1 > C
Does that make sense? If so, then run the analysis as Donald suggests,
creating contrast matrices for the above contrasts. Then run mri_concat
--conjunct p1gtc/sig.mgh p4gtp1/sig.mgh --o conjunction.mgh

doug

On 11/19/2012 01:36 PM, Mahinda Yogarajah wrote:
> Hi Donald and Doug,
>
> Thanks for advice. Can I be a little bit clearer as I suspect I need a little
> more guidance.
>
> When comparing controls (gp c) and whole patient group (gp p) I see
> interesting differences in area (DOSS model after checking for no interaction
> and with age and ICV  as correction factors). I also see an interesting
> interaction between age and group (DODS model with ICV as nuisance factor)
> such that that thickness correlates stronger with age in one group compared
> to another group.
>
> The patient group can be split into 4 subgroups (gp p1 to gp p4) depending on
> level of an endogenous substance. I want to see whether when running gp c
> against gp p1, if the interaction between group and age (for thickness) is
> stronger/weaker than the interaction when running gp p4 against gp c. I also
> want to see whether differences in area between a subgroup and controls are
> bigger/smaller compared to differences between other subgps and controls.
>
> To do this can I use the original method (granted power will b smaller) or if
> I follow the method suggested by Donald should I demean individually within
> subgroups. Also is this kind of model qdec friendly, and if not could you
> offer any guidance on design matrix and contrasts.
>
> Hope i make some sense !
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mahinda

Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.