Michael,

I'm also not aware of any program that will automatically demean by
group when you request an interaction or when you add a covariate.

I still think its important to stress that if you demean the entire
group, you are looking at the "covariate-adjusted group means" rather
than the actual group means. There are clearly times when you might
want to compare group means and control for variance associated with a
variable. One example that comes to mind is AD versus normal controls
and MMSE scores. For this hypothetical, lets say the mean MMSE across
the entire group was 27. You wouldn't want to compare AD subjects with
a mean of 27 to controls with a mean of 27 as AD subjects very rarely
have an MMSE score of 27 as well as controls rarely having and MMSE
score of 27. Nevertheless, you might want to account for the variance
associated with MMSE scores within each group.

Neither solution is right or wrong, it just needs to be stated that
the comparison is of covariate-adjusted means/intercepts/means in
papers.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School