Hi Catherine,
If it's the mtl pial surface around the hippocampus then the pial surface
is not expected to be accurate in that region.  See FAQ question at link
below.

http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/UserContributions/FAQ#Q.Thesurfacesnearthemedialwall.2Chippocampus.2Candamygdalaaren.27taccuratelyfollowingthestructuresthere.HowcanIfixthis.3F

-Louis