Hi Jon

that means that one of the surfaces is out of date, usually because you
edited and reran but not to completion. Try running

recon-all -s <subject> -make all

p.s. ignore the "can't find file" thing. It really means it tried to read
it, but found it wasn't the same topology as the other surface and that's
what it is complaining about