Nicola and Nick,

Hi, its Nick (the other Nick :)). This looks like a new issue we haven't
seen before that is specific to opensuse.  Can you try downloading the
file libcrypt.so.1 from this location:

ftp://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/pub/dist/freesurfer/misc/linux-centos6_x86_64/

copy it to your freesurfer/lib dir, then set a lib path prior to
setting-up (sourcing) freesurfer, like this:

setenv FREESURFER_HOME <whereever you installed freesurfer>
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH $FREESURFER_HOME/lib
source $FREESURFER_HOME/SetUpFreeSurfer.csh

this libcrypt lib is from centos6, and i'm thinking that possibly opensuse
implements crypt differently (working theory anyway).

you can confirm that mri_convert is using this new lib by typing:

cd $FREESURFER_HOME/bin
ldd ./mri_convert

and you should see libcrypt in the list with a path to the freesurfer/lib
dir.

Nick