Thank you Doug,

I think I initially misinderstood a number of things about this process. I
have a 3D GRE volume (I guessed its contrast is closest to BOLD, bbregister
set to T1 or T2 seemed to work more poorly). It is not a 2D. I would like
to transform the 3D GRE volume into freesurfer space, so mri_segstats can
use the segmentations from aparc+aseg.mgz to give back mean intensity
values for each anatomic area.  I could not find a file called lowb.nii,
and so was not sure how to proceed.

1) do I need to use the file you mentioned (lowb.nii) - and if so, where
would I find the file?

2) so running "mri_vol2vol --mov Vol_906.nii --fstarg T1.mgz --o
Vol_906_Reg_Bold.nii --no-save-reg --reg register_bold.dat" (note inv left
off) should map the 3D volume (Vol_906.nii) into the T1 space?

Thank you for all of your help.

Best wishes,

Sal