Hello,

I have a question regarding the interpretation qdec's output for the custom
ROI's thickness estimates. I ran an analysis comparing cortical thickness in
children with and without ADHD (categorical variable), controlling for age and
demeaned ICV, using 5.0. After controlling for multiple comparisons with the
monte-carlo simulation, there were 2 ROIs in the right hemisphere that were
significantly different across groups: a regions near parstriangularis and near
medial orbital cortex. I then created custom ROIs for these regions, and
extracted thickness estimates for each participant for each of these ROIs.

I then decided to do a "sanity check" of the data -- run a linear regression on
these extracted thickness estimates to see if the mean thickness in each region
differed as a function of diagnosis (again controlling for age and demeaned
ICV). By logic, I should see differences in thickness estimates for these 2
ROIs across the 2 groups, because that's how these ROIs were defined, right?
But in reality, there is no difference at all between groups, with p-values
around .9!

I tried saving the ROIs by both manually tracing and with the mri_surfcluster
command -- I get very similar estimates of thickness (correlation coefficients
of .9 across 32 subjects). So that's not the cause of error. Both manual and
automatic extraction fails to find differences across subjects that I described
above.

What am I missing? is the original GLM in QDEC that finds differences between
groups doings something other than looking for differences in each voxel/region
across groups?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Maria

Maria Kharitonova, Ph.D.