From: Maria Kharitonova <maria.khariton...@colorado.edu>
Date: Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Subject: qdec -- confused by glm output for custom ROIs
To: freesurfer <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>, Douglas N Greve <
gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>

Hello,

I have a question regarding the interpretation qdec's output for the custom
ROI's thickness estimates. I ran an analysis comparing cortical thickness
in children with and without ADHD (categorical variable), controlling for
age and demeaned ICV, using 5.0. After controlling for multiple comparisons
with the monte-carlo simulation, there were 2 ROIs in the right hemisphere
that were significantly different across groups: a regions near
parstriangularis and near medial orbital cortex. I then created custom ROIs
for these regions, and extracted thickness estimates for each participant
for each of these ROIs.

I then decided to do a "sanity check" of the data -- run a linear
regression on these extracted thickness estimates to see if the mean
thickness in each region differed as a function of diagnosis (again
controlling for age and demeaned ICV). By logic, I should see differences
in thickness estimates for these 2 ROIs across the 2 groups, because that's
how these ROIs were defined, right? But in reality, there is no difference
at all between groups, with p-values around .9!

I tried saving the ROIs by both manually tracing and with the
mri_surfcluster command -- I get very similar estimates of thickness
(correlation coefficients of .9 across 32 subjects). So that's not the
cause of error. Both manual and automatic extraction fails to find
differences across subjects that I described above.

What am I missing? is the original GLM in QDEC that finds differences
between groups doings something other than looking for differences in each
voxel/region across groups?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Maria

Maria Kharitonova, Ph.D.