That should not be a problem. Certainly it should not cause everything to go to 1s and 0s. What version of FS are you using? And you say the same thing happens with FSL? Try using mri_convert to convert the nonbinary image to another nifti file and see if you get 1s and 0s. If not, then try that file as input. You can also try fscalc, something like

fscalc input.nii mul mask.nii -o output.nii

should accomplish the same thing

doug