Hi, Greg
I use to process my subjects with:

recon-all -s subjid -all -hippo-subfields

The -all flag makes the program run all the 3 stages (autorecon1,
autorecon2 and autorecon3) in sequence. Only after this it starts the
hippo-subfields stage. If you do not have any special reason to run each
autorecon in a different line in your script I suggest you just use the
-all flag. But if you need to separate each stage you can use:

recon-all -s subjid -autorecon1
recon-all -s subjid -autorecon2
recon-all -s subjid -autorecon3 -hippo-subfields

No need to add the hippo-subfields flag for each stage: you would just
repeat the same process and waste time. Indeed, if you check
https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/HippocampalSubfieldSegmentation you
will see that "...the program needs the FreeSurfer-generated files "aseg.mgz",
"nu.mgz" and "talairach.xfm"
At least, aseg.mgz will not be available before completing autorecon2.
So I guess if you add the hippo-subfields flag after autorecon1 stage it
will return an error.

Marcos