In the bad output of the fill, is it hanging onto the mask by a small
thread, one that does not exist in the good wm/fill? When the wm is
analyzed to get the fill, it removes "islands". I think that
extracerebral stuff is an island in the good (and so removed) and still
connected in the bad. It may be that the connection is just above some
threshold in the bad but just below threshold in the good. Does this
make sense?

doug