Dear list members,

as you know, the hippocampal subfields given back by FreeSurfer
(posterior_left_CA1.mgz, posterior_left_CA2-3.mgz, etc.) are posterior
probability maps in the range [0-255] (i.e. [0-1] with 8 bit of
quantization).
Although there is a way to calculate the volume (
kvlQuantifyPosteriorProbabilityImages) that operates by summing up all the
greyscale values
<https://github.com/neurodebian/freesurfer/blob/master/GEMS/kvlQuantifyPosteriorProbabilityImages.cxx#L107>
(an equivalent method is to integrate the histogram over the range 0-255),
to my knowledge there is no freesurfer's routine able to extract a binary
mask out of the posterior probability map.

What procedure do you use or suggest?

I think there are two possibilities here.

1) As written in the paper from Van Leeput et al.
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19405131>, I can *"assign each voxel to
the label with the highest posterior probability"*. Althought I'm wondering
why such a thing, documented in the paper, has not been implemented yet, I
do not think this is the right way to do it because this procedure do not
make any distinction between low probability voxels and high prob ones.

2) Threshold the subfields such that the volumes of the thresholded mask
will equal those calculated by integrating the histogram on the domain
0-255; Formally, find *t* such that:

​
where *H* is the histogram of the subfield.

I prefer the second option because here low prob values are discarded, and
because one can apply the equation to a rigid transformed subfield, thus
limiting the partial volume effect of the resampling.

What do you think about?

Luigi.