From: "Luigi Antelmi" <luigi.ante...@gmail.com>
To: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Cc: "Jorge Jovicich" <jorge.jovic...@unitn.it>, "Moira Marizzoni"
<mmarizz...@fatebenefratelli.it>
Sent: Monday, September 8, 2014 3:57:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] hippocampal subfields: from posterior to binary
masks

Dear all,

I just found that the equivalence Volume/integral isn't quite correct. The
equivalence must be between the volume and something like an expected value of
the histogram V = E[H] = ∫xH(x) dx (where x is the greyscale value).

So, the point 2) described in my previous email becomes (with some intermediate
passages)

Find the threshold value thr such that:

Does this make any sense to you?

Luigi.

​

Dear list members,

as you know, the hippocampal subfields given back by FreeSurfer
(posterior_left_CA1.mgz, posterior_left_CA2-3.mgz, etc.) are posterior
probability maps in the range [0-255] (i.e. [0-1] with 8 bit of quantization).
Although there is a way to calculate the volume (
kvlQuantifyPosteriorProbabilityImages ) that operates by summing up all the
greyscale values (an equivalent method is to integrate the histogram over the
range 0-255), to my knowledge there is no freesurfer's routine able to extract
a binary mask out of the posterior probability map.

What procedure do you use or suggest?

I think there are two possibilities here.

1) As written in the paper from Van Leeput et al. , I can "assign each voxel to
the label with the highest posterior probability" . Althought I'm wondering why
such a thing, documented in the paper, has not been implemented yet, I do not
think this is the right way to do it because this procedure do not make any
distinction between low probability voxels and high prob ones.

2) Threshold the subfields such that the volumes of the thresholded mask will
equal those calculated by integrating the histogram on the domain 0-255;
Formally, find t such that:

​

where H is the histogram of the subfield.

I prefer the second option because here low prob values are discarded, and
because one can apply the equation to a rigid transformed subfield, thus
limiting the partial volume effect of the resampling.

What do you think about?

Luigi.