I think that's ok. In the end you want the best models, you just need to make sure that there is no significant group-by-parameters interaction. Not intervening can also cause a bias. For example if there is atrophy in one group that allows the surfaces to avoid dura but in the other group significant dura is included you will overestimate effect sizes