Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 15:28:46 +0100
From: ct...@dtu.dk
To: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] Changing wstresh and removing wsg-atlas -
consequences?

    Hi Silas,

    Changing the wsthresh and wsgatlas parameters only affect the
    brainmask (which is, among other things, used to limit how far the
    pial surface is allowed to grow). This shouldn't affect the white
    matter.

    if your data contrast is good, you generally wont see much affect
    from adjusting these parameters. However, if the contrast is bad you
    need to inspect your brainmasks carefully, to make sure they
    improved (without removing actual brain from the image).
    Furthermore, in this case it is likely you'll also need to edit the
    brainmasks manually.

    To answer your question: Whenever you modify the parameters, and in
    particular if you need to edit brainmasks, you introduce a bias in
    your study (your qualitative evaluation of how good the brainmasks /
    pial surfaces are).

    You need to consider if adjusting brainmasks is better than letting
    the pipeline do its job - which boils down to the number of subjects
    you have. The more you have, the more robust your statistics will
    be, and the more likely it is that you can leave everything as it
    is. However, If you have few subjects, bad data quality (and in
    turn, brainmask quality) can really impact your pial surface, and
    then it may be best to adjust the masks.

    We can talk more at the hospital if you need further discussion, and
    also look at your data ;-)

    Best,

    Christian