It looks like you made your txt file under windows which creates an
obscure situation where there are carriage returns instead of line feeds
and that causes the error. If you run 'more my_parcstats.txt' you see a
bunch of ^M strings. So, you'll need to recreate it under a linux system.

doug

On 03/03/2015 05:50 PM, Jin, Tony wrote:
> [...]
>     example:
>
>     “”"
>     Create a scalar overlay file where each parcellation region
>     contains a single value:
>        mris_convert \
>     --annot lh.aparc.annot \
>     --parcstats lh.parcstats.txt \
>     lh.white \
>     lh.parcstats
>
>     (...)
>
>     --parcstats <infile> is the name of text file containing label/val
>     pairs, where label is an annot name and val is a value associated
>     with
>     that label.
>     “”"
>
>     However, looking at the output file, stats didn’t seem to map to any
>     vertices; instead, I observed zeroes across all in both Freeview and
>     after conversion to ASCII (see first few lines below). I tried a few
>     other ways to delimit the “label/val” pairs of the "--parcstats"
>     file,
>     including using tab, space, and forward-slash, but each way seemed to
>     produce the same results:
>
>     000 -10.67346 -71.19921 6.09064 0.00000
>     001 -11.29567 -71.20504 6.32133 0.00000
>     002 -12.26970 -71.62605 6.00416 0.00000
>     003 -13.11823 -71.40913 6.45834 0.00000
>     004 -14.22002 -71.39742 6.28750 0.00000
>
>     So, I wonder: is using mris_convert with the --parcstats flag a
>     correct way to create such a map? If so, what could have gone wrong?
>     If not, what’s the easiest way to map my own regional stats onto a
>     surface?
>
>     Your expertise is greatly appreciated;
>
>     Thanks and all the best,
>
>     Tony Jin
>     Data Technician
>     Dept. of Psychiatry
>     Stony Brook Medicine
>

>     This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole
>     use of
>     the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
>     information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
>     is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
>     the sender by e-mail and destroy all copies of the original.

> --
> Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.
> MGH-NMR Center
> gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu <mailto:gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
> Phone Number: 617-724-2358
> Fax: 617-726-7422
>
> Bugs: surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/BugReporting
> FileDrop: https://gate.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/filedrop2
> www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/facility/filedrop/index.html
> Outgoing: ftp://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/transfer/outgoing/flat/greve/

> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom
> it is
> e-mail
> HelpLine at
> http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you
> in error
> but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender

Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.
MGH-NMR Center
gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Phone Number: 617-724-2358