I think that the ces is the better map to use, but there's not a
consensus. For some reason that I don't understand, people starting
using the z-map or the correlation coefficient as the input to the group
level in contradiction to everything that had ever been done in
task-based analysis. In tests that I have done with task-based analysis,
I did not see much difference in using ces, cespct, z, pcc, or t.

doug

On 03/26/2015 09:21 AM, Barbour, Tracy,M.D. wrote:
> Thanks Doug,
>
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if you would give some input on this:
>
> When we run the buckner scripts for functional connectivity analysis, those
> scripts:
>
> 1. Obtain correlation maps of individual subjects, and convert them to
> individual subject z-maps using Fisher's r-to-z transformation.
>
> 2.  Obtain group-averaged correlation z-maps ( averaged across all subjects
> in the group )
>
> 3. Apply an inverse Fisher's r-to-z transformation to the group-averaged
> correlation z-map, yielding a group-averaged correlation map.
>

> Using the fsFAST scripts I can:
>
> 1. Obtain the individual z maps (but these are converted from the sig.mgh map
> not a correlation map).
>
> 2. Then I can concat all the individual z maps using isxconcat-sess by adding
> the -map z flag. I get a group z.nii.gz map.
>
> 3. Now I am uncertain what to do for the within group analysis. The
> mri_glmfit command can use the z.nii.gz file and the output is the sig.mgh
> file. This is not analogous to the buckner scripts, as I am not converting
> back to a correlation map, but am I getting the same result?
>
> When I compare a within group analysis I get similar results if I use the
> z.nii.gz or the ces.nii.gz as the input.
>
> mri_glmfit --y ces.nii.gz --osgm --glmdir lh.wls.ces.ogsm --wls cesvar.nii.gz
> --cortex --surf fsaverage lh --mask ../mask.nii.gz
>
> When I compare the maps obtained during a regression analysis using the
> z.nii.gz file and the ces.nii.gz file I get different results, so I'm not
> sure which one to use.
>
> mri_glmfit --y z.nii.gz --fsgd TAQ_ctl_blDIPS2008anatseed.fsgd --surf
> fsaverage lh --glmdir lh.TAQ_ctl.glmdir --C ../slope.mtx --C ../intercept.mtx
> --cortex
>
>   Which map should I use?
>
> Thank you
>
> Tracy