Hi Jennifer,

We had the same problem with importing scans into Freesurfer that had been
converted from PAR/REC to NIFTI using nipy. The problem only affected a subset
of the data. When visualising the data with Fiji the brain appeared highly
skewed. Upon closer inspection of the header data of the NIFTI file we
discovered that there was an extra byte somewhere between the description
fields and the magic number sequence, causing the magic number to be
misinterpreted by Freesurfer. The extra byte was somewhere in the
transformation matrix that is located between the description field and the
magic number, but it's impossible to fix unless you know what the content of
the transformation matrix is supposed to be. However, when using dcm2nii, part
of mricron (from what I understand a newer version of mricro), to convert our
PAR/REC files to NIFTI the problem disappeared.

Maybe you could try dcm2nii and see if that helps your case as well? It's
available from here:
http://www.mccauslandcenter.sc.edu/mricro/mricron/install.html

If you are on Linux or Mac OS X you could try to run the command `head -c350
<path-to-nifti-file> | hexdump -Cv`, where <path-to-nifti-file> is the path to
your NIFTI file. This command will print the first 350 bytes of the NIFTI file
that contains the header (plus two extra bytes) in hexadecimal and ASCII
format. I don't have an example available at the moment, but the header should
end in 'ni1..' or 'n+1..' in the rightmost column. If you get 'ni1.' or 'n+1.'
(only one dot at the end), you probably have the same problem as we
experienced. We don't know the origin of this extra byte, but most likely it is
a bug in the conversion software that is affecting only some of the scans.

Regards,
Jalmar