Hi Lee,

I’m replying to the list on this, in case anyone else echoes this trouble when
altering surfaces. In addition to the email help,  I also checked the thread
noted, which specified that the recon-all.log file would have the line
information. I followed the mri folder commands you offered, both as more
recent, as well as the fact that the recon-all.log file listed a mean, not a
solid min/max number.

I’ve been trying to play around with the command options you gave me, so that
the other two brains that had this problem at the initial reconstruction can
also be adjusted, and I know what I’m doing.

When I ran this command:

mri_segment -wlo 105 brain.mgz 105_o01.mgz

it produced a file, but I can’t tell how the normalization intensity is from
the file set up, and I ended up with no segment lines. Hence the second command
line, I’m sure…

However, some of this makes sense to me on this, and some doesn’t. There’s a
segment.dat file in the MRI folder, and thus it runs the adjustment command on
the brain.mgz file. There is no make_surfaces.dat file. I figured I’d run the
command for the fun of it:

mris_make_surfaces  -wlo 105 brain.mgz 105_o01.mgz – using brain.mgz because of
the instructions you’d given me to run the commands from the mri folder, and
assuming the logic that both commands were altering the brain.mgz file.

and got told there was no brain.mgz subject in my directory:
/home/jlk130230/anatomical/brain.mgz/mri/filled.mgz was the volume that
couldn’t be opened.
So, I moved back out to my subject directory for this, based on both the error
and the wiki
information on the command, using:

mris_make_surfaces -wlo 105 fmri35_o01 r l  105_o01.mgz

based on the wiki information to use the subject, then input information on
hemispheres, and the volume to be altered. This time, I thought maybe that it
needed to alter the 105_o01 file I’d created with the segment command, since
that was the dat file that was located in the folder.

However, first – unlike the instructions on the wiki stated, the hemisphere
information was not recognized, it was seen as a file name:

/home/jlk130230/anatomical/fmri35_o01/surf/r.orig: could not open file No such
file or directory

So, I got rid of the hemisphere information, and ran it without that –
mris_make_surfaces -wlo 105 fmri35_o01  105_o01.mgz

This time, I realized there is no surf folder that is recognized based on the
file name -  /home/jlk130230/anatomical/fmri35_o01/surf/105_o01.mgz.orig does
not exist.

The surf file is outside of the mri folder, and also contains no dat file with
the mris_make_surfaces command, and the mri folder has a brainfinalsurfs.mgz
file – but, it doesn’t seem like this would help edit the new volume either,
nor is it specifically "surf."

While searching the wiki on expert opts, I found Bruce’s notice on some
commands being designed to be sure that experts were using them – which I’m
sure I’m not – but, do you think you can point me in the right direction on
this!!!!

Thanks very much!

Jennifer Kriegel