Hi Freesurfer Team,
I'm attempting to calculate the volume of hippocampal subfields (e.g.,
CA1-3, DG) in the anterior (head), middle (body), and poster (tail)
subregions of the hippocampus. I have manually determined the boundaries
for head/body/tail using standard anatomical landmarks and included these
updated labels in the aseg files.  I am attempting to use those
(head/body/tail) volumes as masks when generating the hippocampal subfield
(CA1-3, DG) volumes. Could you confirm that these are the correct steps to
this end?

*Note.* Based on the prior literature, the asegs were ac-pc aligned in AFNI
to determine unbiased boundaries for head/body/tail.

mri_binarize --i aseg_acpc_antpost.mgz --match 91 --o Lhead_mask.nii
> #LHead=label 91
> mri_segstats --seg lh.hippoSfLabels-T1-T1T2.v10.1mm_acpc.nii --mask
> Lhead_mask.nii --excludeid 0 --pv norm_acpc.nii --sum
> ../stats/substats_lhead

The outputs appear reasonable (i.e., the volumes generated by mri_segstats
with the mask are smaller than without the mask), but I wanted to ensure
that this is the appropriate method to generate what I'm looking for.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Sarah