Dear experts,

can also be the difference between v5.3 and v6.0 behavior in HCP pipeline and
possible sub-optimal behavior of v6.0 with HCP pipeline given by different in
image input to mris_make_surfaces in HCP pipeline (FreeSurferHiResWhite.sh) ?

For white surface estimation the recon-all input is brain.finalsurfs, which is
very aggressively filtered so that the white matter voxels have typically
values 110 and the SNR in deep white matter areas approach infinity. In
contrast, for HCP pipeline the input T1w_hires_masked_norm image is filtered no
to such an extent. Therefore there is much lower contrast-to-noise ratio in the
region of GM-WM interface for mris_make_surfaces in FreSurferHiResWhite.sh.
This maybe renders mris_make_surface more vulnerable to local deviations in
intensity in GM-WM interface.

My observation (without any thorougful tests) is that with v6.0 in HCP pipeline
I had very often to edit wm.mgz in the region of GM-WM interface in the areas
of (physiological) perivascular subcortical T1 hypointensities due to the
?h.white "leak" to these areas.

And also, as I wrote in some of my previous (unanswered) posts:

http://www.mail-archive.com/freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/msg51414.html

the change of -first_wm_peak behaviour in v6.0 in fact worsened white surface
estimation in my data I tested with HCP pipelines.

I could upload some example subjects if you are interested and have time to dig
in.

In any case, it is probably hard to compare performance between standard
recon-all and HCP pipeline and different versions of FreeSurfer due to
different input to mris_make_surfaces and different flags used. The HCP
pipeline, as it currently stands, would probably need different optimization of
code or different command line options due to the different input used.

Regards,

Antonin Skoch

Hi Bruce,

I donĀ¹t think the hires T1w and T2w stuff are as accurate as 5.3 in the
HCP 0.7mm data that I have looked at (and as I recall at least one other
user had some similar issues, as did one of my collaborators), but that
was all I meant to refer to.  Sorry if my reply came across more general
than that, as of course we want to move to using FreeSurfer V6+ in the
future.  It is the highres T1w and T2w stuff that my pipelines are
designed to exploit, however.  Also there are some changes I have to make
to the HCP Pipelines for FreeSurfer V6+ because of differing file names,
etc.Best,

Matt.

On 3/13/17, 9:40 PM, "Bruce Fischl"
<freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu on behalf of