Thank you for looking into the deeper mechanics of this issue. In my case I am
dealing with motion contaminated 1.5T data which require extensive and somewhat
intricate edits to the white matter bleed into the pial surface, as well as
into dura. In working with a past dataset of similar characteristics I was
consistently impressed with fs 5.3’s ability to properly segment white matter
in most cases and the robustness of the editing response. I was left with the
overall impression that freesurfer handled noisy data quite well with a little
bit of help. Our results from the analysis of corrected vs uncorrected data
were very strong in favor of the editing protocol.

My experience with 6.0, aside from any issues of information not propagating
through the longitudinal stream, is that there are many more cases in which the
white matter surface will not conform to the edits suggested in the white
matter volume. A number of tricks to “convince” the software in cases of
non-response used in 5.3, such as making sure to complete edits on adjacent
slices, are simply not effective. I am left with the overall impression that I
have very little control over the white matter surfaces really, beyond making
suggestions which may only slightly change the degree of error, but does not
fundamentally change the structure of the white matter surface enough to remove
the misclassification entirely in many cases.

Best,

David P. Semanek, HCISPP
Research Technician, Posner Lab
Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Columbia University Medical Center
New York State Psychiatric Institute
1051 Riverside Drive, Pardes Bldg. Rm. 2424
New York, NY 10032
PH: (646) 774-5885

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail is meant only for the use of the intended
recipient.  It may contain confidential information which is legally privileged
or otherwise protected by law.  If you received this e-mail in error or from
someone who was not authorized to send it to you, you are strictly prohibited
from reviewing, using, disseminating, distributing or copying the e-mail.
PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AND DELETE THIS
MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM.  Thank you for your cooperation.