Dear Bruce,

sorry for the confusion with xopts-use and recon-all editing.

I  have checked the xopts-use and the reason of this is that I run the  subject
1 and 2 as a part of batch job on large amount of subjects,  where I rerun
recon-all to anonymize them. Some of them had  expert-options file with
bbregister --init-header from the initial run  (these were subjects where
--init-fsl failed). I put -xopts-use to  invocation of all subjects (even for
them without expert-option file) to  make my life easier.
I did not put -cubic expert-options to any of my subjects.

Concerning  editing of my 5.3 version of recon-all: My only modification  in
recon-all was -nsigma_above 8 for FLAIRpial and patch with .touch files
recommended here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/msg41284.html

Otherwise my recon-all corresponds to the 5.3.0-patch version.

It  seems that there was change in UseCubic wich 5.3.0-patch. Original
recon-all from 5.3.0 has UseCubic=0, whereas recon-all from 5.3.0-patch  has
UseCubic=1:

https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/pub/dist/freesurfer/5.3.0-patch/recon-all

In my v6.0 recon-all I have UseCubic=0.

I am surprised that mere interpolation could have such profound effect !

I will try your suggestions and let you know.

Antonin