From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
<freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> on behalf of MIKHAEL Shadia
<s1163...@sms.ed.ac.uk>
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2018 1:58:00 PM
To: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] external WM and GM masks as input to recon-all?

Dear Bruce,

Thank you for your reply at
https://mail.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/pipermail/freesurfer/2018-January/055512.html
regarding the use of grey and white matter masks.

Since you were suggesting that this may be difficult, I have instead tried to
introduce external masks at a later stage (ribbons) in the process as follows:
running recon-all once (run1), all the way through, then replacing
?h.ribbon.nii and ?h.ribbon.mgz with externally-derived ribbons, before calling
recon-all a second time (run2) in FreeSurfer 6.0 as follows:

recon-all -autorecon-pial -parcstats -cortparc2 -parcstats2 -cortparc3
-parcstats3 -subjid s1-freesurfer60-run2-external_ribbon

I have experimented with the following 2 setups for this 2nd run of recon-all:
1. run2-setup1: keeping all the files in the 'mri' directory generated by run
1, except for ?h.ribbon.nii and ?h.ribbon.mgz which I'm replacing by the
externally-derived ones
2. run2-setup2: keeping only the files in the 'mri' directory generated by run
1  before ?h.ribbon.nii and ?h.ribbon.mgz. Files generated after those 2 were
deleted, and the ribbons were replaced by the externally-derived ones

I have found that in both cases, the ?h.ribbon.mgz are getting modified by the
recon-all process, and the stats file is identical to that of run 1, which is
not what I was hoping for. Altering the ribbons did not alter the parcellation
& corresponding stats.

Could you please advise on the steps that I've missed/done wrongly in order for
the ribbon changes to get incorporated? Should I be clearing the 'stats'
directory? And is the 2nd run of recon-all correct? Any tips would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Shadia

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.