External Email - Use Caution

I am using mri_vol2vol --mov L_AIP_mask.nii.gz --targ
$FSLDIR/standard/MNI152_T1_1mm_brain.nii.gz --inv --reg
$FREESURFER_HOME/average/mni152.mni305.subfov1.dat --o L_AIP_MNI152.nii.gz
--interp nearest

(I used mni152.mni305.subfov1.dat in my registration of T1.mgz into MNI152
space, at the time mni152.register.dat created weird flipping problems, so I am
using it here as well)

So when I check this in freeview it paints the whole brain and I see that the
file is not binarized. I attached a picture, the brain under is the adjusted
MNI152 T1 which I corrected manually.

I also tried this:
mri_label2vol --seg L_AIP_mask.nii.gz --reg
$FREESURFER_HOME/average/mni152.mni305.subfov1.dat --invertmtx --o
L_AIP_MNI152.nii.gz
And it created a binarized volume just like I wanted, but registration was way
off and not possible to correct manually because the unmasked volume is so
small. I tried to feed a template volume inside this and it didn't create
anything.

Thank you for all the help!
Best
Idil