Hi Maedeh

the number of subjects depends on the variability of whatever you are training. I know Christophe found that a surprisingly small number of subjects (around 15) was sufficient to capture major folding variability, but of course small and rare features might have been washed out and we wouldn't know.

The easiest way I can think of to test your procedure is to train on a single subject, then use mri_ca_label to apply the atlas to that subject. You won't get exactly the same as your training, but it should be awfully close.