I'm not sure what you are trying to do here. Ico7 is just a 7th order
icosahedron and does not "belong" to any subject. What belongs to
fsaverage or fsaverage_sym is the atlas of curvatures and registrations
derived from them (eg, lh.sphere.reg). It might be easier to use
mris_apply_reg rather than mri_surf2surf. One of the reasons I wrote
mris_apply_reg was to apply the xhemi registrations because the
structure of mri_surf2surf makes it really hard to get the specification
right.