It looks like you are trying to do a surface-based analysis using a mask
derived from the volume-based fmri analysis. Is that right? And the fMRI is on
the mni152?  If so, then you will need to get your mask onto the surface of
fsaverage. The easiest way to do that is to run recon-all on the mni152 volume,
then run mri_vol2surf using your stat mask as the --mov, --regheader (since
they are both in mni152), --projfrac-max 0 1 .1 to make sure to pick up all the
voxels in the mask, and  --trgsubject  fsaverage. You can view this as an
overlay in freeview with tksurferfv fsaverage lh inflated -ov
<mri_vol2surf_output.mgz>. You can then threshold it with mri_binarize --i
<mri_vol2surf_output.mgz> --min YourThresh --o mask.mgz