External Email - Use Caution

From: Timothy Coalson <tsc...@mst.edu>
Date: Monday, October 28, 2019 at 8:21 PM
To: "Glasser, Matthew" <glass...@wustl.edu>
Subject: Re: FW: [Freesurfer] Mapping coordinates from sphere file to ?h.white

That is not a sphere of fs_LR coordinates (in fact, "fs_LR coordinates" is not
really a meaningful phrase).  That sphere's per-vertex coordinates are
specifically intended to spatially line up our fs_LR atlas data to fsaverage
atlas data on the fsaverage atlas sphere, because this is the information
needed to resample between the atlases.  It has the same number of vertices as
fs_LR surfaces because it needs to know the target location on the fsaverage
atlas sphere for every fs_LR vertex.

The inflation of an anatomical surface to a sphere is a tricky process, as the
surface can easily fold back over itself (which would encode a non-invertible
transformation).  The path the vertices took to get to a sphere is neither
recorded, nor particularly important to anyone not working on the
implementation details of the inflation.  The endpoint of the process, the
spherical surface, is the only goal, the displacement vectors between them are
not useful to surface operations (since the data is tied to the vertices, and
all the vertices still exist in the sphere (just at new coordinates), it is
trivial to use the same data "on" either the sphere or anatomical surfaces).
These spherical surfaces are only used to do registration and resampling (which
does not involve any kind of warp of anatomical coordinates), after which the
data is used with anatomical surfaces (which always maintain the original shape
and size even when resampled), because spatial processing should be done on
brain-shaped geometry, not on spheres.

It is unclear to me what you intend to use the surface you described for, and I
don't know what the .x5 format is.  The surface resampling weights are fairly
easily derived from the correct pair of spheres, and resampling does not
involve any kind of spatial displacement.

Tim

From:
<freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu<mailto:freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>>
 on behalf of Oscar Esteban <p...@oscaresteban.es<mailto:p...@oscaresteban.es>>