External Email - Use Caution

Dear FreeSurfer experts,

I have two questions on subject IDs in FreeSurfer output.

1) is it possible to change to subject identifier in the FreeSurfer output
after recon-all has been run?

Background: I would like to upload data pre-processed with FreeSurfer to a
consortium server. The subject ID is a random identifier, but the upload
guidelines say this identifier must only occur in certain file types (Excel
files, .log files, and some more, but not in any other files).

I noticed that a lot of the output files produced by FreeSurfer contain the
subject identifier somewhere, including various binary files, so I guess there
is no easy way to change it. But maybe there is? Like rerunning a part of
recon-all?

2) If not, I could rename the source NIFTI files (e.g., from the identifiers to
something like 'subject001', 'subject002', ...) and re-process everything. This
would take some computational time for the > 500 subjects, but it would be okay
I guess.

But a large number of the subjects have manual edits applied already. Is there
a way to keep the manual edits? E.g., I thought maybe I could rename the
individual directories of the edited subjects, leave the edited files in there,
and run recon-all again. But what would happen? Will the new output files have
the renamed ID from the directory name (and thus the recon-all command line),
or will they still use the old ID (from the header of the existing files)? Or
will the existing, edited files which contain a different ID be ignored during
the new run because the IDs do not match, and thus the existing edits would
have no effect?

All the best,

Tim

--