From: <freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> on behalf of "Renner, Brian"
<brian.ren...@cshs.org>
Date: Monday, April 13, 2020 at 8:54 PM
To: FS Help <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Subject: [Freesurfer] Freesurfer display resolution very low compared to other
viewers

        External Email - Use Caution
Hello all!

Inaugural message to the list; I will attempt to be brief with the project
description.

The setup is consistent between both versions 6.0.0 and 7.0.0-beta, run on a
high performance cluster, accessed through macOS terminal + Xquartz, most
recent versions all.

As it stands, our group is attempting to do subfield analysis of hippocampal
analysis and lesion measurement in MS subjects. We have noticed that there is a
major discrepancy of resolutions between files, which has irked some of our
physicians undertaking the lesion measurement. We need to resolve the lesions
down to 3mm and have noticed the quality between freeview and fsleyes of the
same nifti files will yield much lower display resolution. This is true for
most scans, though it has been compared using 1mm T2 FLAIR sequences as well as
T2* sequences with 0.65mm voxel space. I have been attempting to find a
workaround as the current solution for the physicians is to look at the files
in fsleyes and then measure them with the ruler tool in freeview. I can send
supporting pictures as necessary.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you may have!

BR

--

Brian Renner, MD
Research Associate, Neurology

Cedars-Sinai
127 S. San Vicente Blvd, Suite A6600  :  Los Angeles CA 90048
office 310-423-1589  :  mobile 310-658-3492  :
cedars-sinai.org<https://www.cedars-sinai.org/>

IMPORTANT WARNING: This message is intended for the use of the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and
confidential, the disclosure of which is governed by applicable law. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this information is
strictly prohibited. Thank you for your cooperation.