Yes, I still don't understand. That snippet of code that you point out
is embedded in an if statement:
  if($DoCleanTal || ! -e $xfm) then
    Copy
  endif

! -e $xfm means that the file must not already exist. So, as long as
that file exists, it will not copy over it ($DoCleanTal is a special
flag that you are not using).
So I think I understand what you are doing, but I just don't understand
why the xfm is changing. One thing you can do is to just change the
permissions on the file, eg,
chmod a-w talairach.xfm
This will remove write permissions so that the file cannot change.