External Email - Use Caution

 If the files can be read from inside the VM from the external drive, then
I'd think you could copy them into the Linux file system.  You would have
to run the “mount” or some other command in the Linux terminal window to
determine the path on the exFAT drive to what SUBEJCTS_DIR is there.  But
usually things are mounted under /media
$ mount | grep media… check output ...

Let’s say your path to SUBJECTS_DIR on the exFAT drive as visible in the Linux
file system is /media/exfat/data/subj034
You need to find a location in Linux where you have enough space to copy the
data.  I will assume using your home directory in the Linux VM below.
 So in the Linux terminal window to use your home directory you could try
the commands below.   NOTE - that if you have spaces in a path or
directory name on the exFAT drive, then quote them below, e.g.,  subj
034  ==>  "subj 034"
$ cd… or ...$ cd $HOME$ pwd/home/developer     <— your result will
differ… see how much disk space you have …$ df -h .… check output … and if you
have enough space to copy data, if so, make a subdirectory for the copy …$
mkdir data_copy$ cd data_copy… try using the tar utility to copy all data from
the drive …$ (cd /media/exfat/data; tar cpf - subj034) | tar xpf -… may take a
while depending on speed of drive and size of data …
$ cd subj034… check all the data is there $ ls -lRt * | more… hit q to
stop output from more command ...
$ pwd/home/developer/data_copy/subj034
… then set SUBJECTS_DIR in the environment or in script, etc. that runs the
recon-all
$ export SUBJECTS_DIR=/home/developer/data_copy/subj034
- R.
On Sep 25, 2023, at 02:52, Mervin Tee <mervin...@nus.edu.sg>
wrote:        External Email - Use
Caution        Hi R,Thanks for getting
back, indeed a copy of those files doesn't help because just like what you have
mentioned at some point a check failed and I could not proceed with the
remaining steps of recon-all. The command I pasted was obtain from the
last line of the error log text file where it indicates where the step of which
the error occurred. But the main error is mostly due to symlink on exFAT
storage on linux. Hence, the question here is if there is any solution
that allows me to still work on external exFAT storage. As symlink doesn't
seems to work on exFAT storage. As my data are bitlocked on an external
storage, which doesn't allow me to change the format for the storage drive. So,
I was hoping to look for a workaround that allows me to continue working on
exFAT
storage.  Cheers,Mervin From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu <freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
 on behalf of fsbuild <fsbu...@contbay.com>Sent: 25 September 2023
10:10To: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>Cc: Mervin
 Tee <mervin...@nus.edu.sg>Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] Unable to
complete all the steps of recon-all  - External Email
-         External Email - Use
Caution         I don’t see an
error message in  what you posted below.I would not assume changing soft
links to actual copies of the same file (by a different name) will work, i.e.,
anything that makes a soft link may subsequently test for a soft link using the
link name.  That test will fail if the soft link has been replaced by an
actual (duplicate) copy of the file.  The expectation is when writing
output e.g., during recon-all, that SUBJECTS_DIR points to a linux compatible
file system that supports creating all the Linux file system file types
(including soft links) and support all Linux file privileges.-R.On Sep 24,
2023, at 01:58, Mervin Tee <mervin...@nus.edu..sg>
wrote:        External Email - Use
Caution        Hi, I'm trying to
complete my recon-all command. I'm currently working on Ubuntu 22 and
processing the images from an exFAT drive.After digging a bit, I realised that
symbolic links cannot be created on exFAT drives. I then came across another
post that suggest to change all 'ln' to cp instead. While that works for the
remaining steps. It started exiting with errors at this stage..The stage where
it stops#@# Qdec Cache preproc lh white.K fsaverage Wed Sep 13 15:40:33 +08
2023The error that was in the error log.CMD mris_preproc --s
ED751_SAG_MPRAGE_p2_NON-SSc.nii --hemi lh --meas white.K --target fsaverage
--out lh.white.K.fsaverage.mghWhat should I do to resolve this
issue? Cheers,Mervin Important: This email is confidential and may be
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify
us immediately; you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its
contents to any other person. Thank
listfreesur...@nmr.mgh.harvard.eduMailScanner has detected a possible fraud
attempt from "secure-web.cisco.com" claiming to
behttps://mail.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/freesurferImportant: This