I'm having decent luck with it, actually. I'm using an mplayer built from the
runtime scripts, which get Mplayer as of 2/13/03.

What I had started doing was emulating (some of) the on-screen displays that
the ReplayTV does. Basically, this consists of echoing remote commands with
icons that start opaque and fade out over a couple of seconds.

I started out modifying mplayer's bmovl-test.c and calling the modded .exe with
os.system.

I'm sort of in the middle of adapting Aubin's python code to feed the FIFO. The
one advantage I hope to get over the stand-alone .exe is to cut out the png

Two issues worth noting have come up:

 - mplayer doesn't service the bmovl fifo while paused. This is ok for keeping
the "pause" icon (||) showing, but ReplayTV, for instance, counts down the
remaining time-shift buffer space available (in h:mm:ss form). That doesn't
seem possible with bmovl.

 - I was surprised that the global/parent eventhandler was being called in
addition to the local one. For example, in tv/timeshift.py's event handler, I
pop up the "mute" icon, but the main eventhandler actually mutes the audio.
maybe the sense of the event handler return value is just the opposite of what
I thought.