Dirk Meyer wrote:
I'm just thinking of the futire of the runtime. Since we have no
moving targets like mplayer or xine in it, I hope the next runtime
will be good enough for the next releases, too.

I like this idea. :) Less work for me and quicker releases!

I used to have two packages: freevo and freevo-runtime. We made it one
to make it easier for the users. But it's a huge waste of bandwidth to
download the same runtime over and over again. And since we have nice
dep RPMs and Freevo can be installed directly into the system, what do
you think about making an extra runtime package for the next release?

I think we should go for it. BUT, the Freevo sourceforge download page needs some serious cleaning up. It is confusing even to me! I think the latest freevo tgz release should be at the very top and there should be clear instructions on what each file provides. Maybe we need to explain this on the Freevo homepage download section. The user can also read there that besides the tgz files there may be packages for their distro, info about rpms and debs there.

To make it easier, Freevo could check all libs on startup. If a lib is
not found, print a warning:
Install runtime from <url> or install all deps. Read INSTALL to get
a list of all deps.

It could also check for version numbers so that if we update the runtime with newer versions of some modules or libs the user will be notified.

-Rob