Aubin Paul wrote:
On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 04:19:53AM -0300, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:

  My only concern is scaning a big dir, ie 500mb, it will take too
much. You can use "freevo cache" but in runtime you'll need to rescan
to get the md5 to then get the cover? Or md5 are kept in cache too?

It would be less useful to cache the md5 since we wouldn't notice
changes then. But calculating md5's is not a time consuming process...

I found it took about 0.10 s (1/10th of a second +/- 0.03) to do an md5 for a
20mb file.

That can't be right, since it implies that your harddrive can read data at 200 Mbytes/sec? But do you really need to do an MD5 on a file to notice changes, isn't it enough to check size, last change date etc?

/ Krister
Would it not be enough to only hash the first 100k or so?
For mp3's that would quite guarantee uniqueness when you also check size

Rob Reilink