Jason Tackaberry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 18:51 -0400, Rob Shortt wrote:
>>   > * Old program info doesn't seem to be thrown away. On freevo-epg
>> >   search I get lots of old data, epg.sqlite grew to 45MB (after
>> >   deletion and new insertion of program info it is only 4.5 MB)
>>
>> I think sqlite keeps the space allocated unless you specify a flag on
>> startup.
>
> This is typical of DBs.  kaa.db has a vacuum() method that should be
> called periodically, and will take care of this problem.

I don't think this is the only reason. The old entries don't get
deleted. A small query shows me, that the backup (well, I'm a coward)
of epg.sqlite has a lot more entries than the current epg.sqlite:

,----
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] /home/hjficker
| hush% sqlite3 /var/lib/freevo/epg.sqlite.old \
|       "select title,start,stop,parent_id from objects_program;" \
|     | wc -l
| 69485
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] /home/hjficker
| hush% sqlite3 /var/lib/freevo/epg.sqlite \
|       "select title,start,stop,parent_id from objects_program;" \
|     | wc -l
| 7551
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] /home/hjficker
| hush%
`----

In fact, the oldest entry in the database was from August, and I had
it in use since last Saturday:
,----
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] /home/hjficker
| hush% sqlite3 /var/lib/freevo/epg.sqlite.old \
|         "select title,start,stop,parent_id from objects_program
|            where stop < $(date -d 08/16 +%s);" \
|      | wc -l
| 870
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] /home/hjficker
| hush%
`----

Best regards,
    Hans-Jürgen
--
"To know recursion, you must first know recursion"