Dirk Meyer wrote:
Reinoud Elhorst wrote:

As soon as I a try to open the root (/) directory, a
message appeared ( InProgress exception: maximum recursion depth
exceeded in cmp ). Took some time to figure out where things were
going wrong (but learned a ton on the freevo project, and python in
general), but I found two problems:
- My root directory seems to be stored as file:////, whereas I would
  expect it to be file:/// (that's 3 slashes instead of 4). I couldn't
  find any obvious spot where this is set, so I'll take the cowards
  way out for now and just ask (I would expect the config files
  setting which directories to show, couldn't find it).
- The beacon.Database._get_dir() code gets into an endless recursion
  when fed '//' as directory. This is because os.path.dirname('//') ==
  //' (unlike bash, where `dirname '//'` == '/'), so the root is never
  found.

Probably not very hard bugs to solve both of them.

Doing a query on '/' was never tested, I did not expect someone whats
to see his whole tree in Freevo. Anyway, an update to kaa.beacon
should fix the problem. But I suggest you add better directories to
your config, I don't think you will every find media files in /dev or
/usr and beacon will scan this.

I installed freevo without doing any configuration, it defaults to offering your home directory and the root dir. So the second link I clicked crashed :). Indeed now I set it to some useful directory. However would still expect some code that sets the default values (if none is present in the config) to have a slash too many for the root directory (I couldn't find where this was done though).

It turned out my gentoo installation on my media box was too old to install anything anymore, so I've spent the last couple of days compiling linux on a 600MHz Via chip. I'm going to try that again this weekend.

The only other thing I've run into so far is that I seem to be unable to change the geometry from the default 800x600, both for the freevo (mevas) window, and the fullscreen mplayer. It seems to be ignoring the value set in /etc/freevo/freevo.conf. I haven't explored this further yet (and, actually, for my media box, I don't care since it runs at that resolution anyway).

Reinoud