Victor Putz wrote:
> One thing I've heard is that the TV-out-enabled second display on the G400
> is "unaccelerated", whatever that means (not sure if it meant "no overlay
> support", "no xv support", what).  I'm using the freevo for recording,
> playback, and Mame under X--is the G400 unimpaired with all these?

It's expressed a little confusingly.  The G400 has two "heads", which are
not actually associated with the physical connectors.  The second "head"
is indeed unaccelerated, and you probably don't want to use it unless
you have to.

What you do is display to the first "head", but associated that with
the second connector.  You do this using the "matroxset" tool.

> Also--and this is fairly important to me--is the TV-out on the G400
> adjustable in terms of saturation/color balance/etc?

I'm not sure.  I found that mine looked pretty much right out of
the box, but my vision isn't so great...

> Thanks; I appreciate the help.  All things considered, setting up the
> video for the Freevo is fairly confusing (X11? dxr3?  Framebuffer?) even
> without the driver issues.

The thing to know is that Freevo uses SDL.  Anything that SDL supports,
Freevo supports.

If G450 support has improved since I looked at it a year or so ago
(at the time all the docs pretty much said that support wasn't ready
for real use yet) then you may find it simpler to grab one of those.
The cables for them are at least readily available.

--
          "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
      phasers on the Heffalump, Piglet, meet me in transporter room three."