I bought a G400, and TV quality is excellent.

I soldered a cable together - and I'm crap at such things - my hands
shake - but with a bit of patience I got it done.
Matrox were out, hence the soldering, but I signed up for email
notification when they restocked - it took about a month but they got a
shipment in last month. It's only about 10 bucks or so, so not bad -
canada and the uk had then in stock the whole time.

having said that I do have a few issues:
  1. There was a bit of hoop jumping to get the then cvs latest directfb
  to compile
  2. While quality is excellent in both freevo and mplayer (-vo dfbmga)
  with perfect overscan I'm limited to directfb / SDL apps - without X
  and specifically XV extensions I can't get a decent xmame going - the
  sdl/frame buffer mame will attempt to use a modeline nearest the game
  res. rather than resizing, but for directfb tv output you're limited to
  native NTSC/PAL resolution.
  3. The screen flickering as directfb re-initializes every time it
  switches between freevo and mplayer.

I'm able to play divx's and dvd's no problem on a p2 400 - with something
insane like only 30% cpu usage - I just wish I could use X for
xine/ogle/xmame.

Chris.