On Mon 21.06.2004 at 09:26:38AM +0200, Dirk Meyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I bought a dvb-t card and now I wonder how you use a card like this in
> Freevo. I use mplayer and dumpstream for recording which works well
> with latest cvs. Only problem is that mmpython can't scan a mpeg ts.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> o what do you use to record without re-encoding?

I modified the tzap program (in the apps section of the drivers, version
1.1.0) to read from /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 and save straight to disk.
The stream format is then MPEG TS. The files are huge (5 GB for 2h30 of
movie) so recoding with XviD will be needed before burning.
Besides, it could be easily converted on the fly to MPEG PS, which
freevo knows about. I have been working on it yesterday, using
libdvbmpeg's ts2ps program. It's not integrated yet, since I tried to
include the DVB subtitles in the resulting PS, but it should work.

> o does someone has a link to a ts spec? I would like to include

I don't, but if you're not afraid of reading code, take a look at
libdvbmpeg.

>   support for it into mmpython:
>   - get length of the file

Probably by calculating a difference between the first and last PTS in
one of the streams? But the PTS can be reset to 0 at some point in the
stream, so scanning of the whole file might be needed in this case (and
scanning 5 GB takes time...). You cannot rely on the bitrate announced
in the stream to calculate the length based on the file's size(in
Finland, it is always set to 10 Mbps, but the actual bitrate of the
video stream is different).

Btw, my (old, from last December) Freevo always shows wrong durations
for MPEG (either DVD, rips from DVDs, or PS converted from DVB's TS).
What's the reason for that? Is it fixed in the current version?

>   - maybe find signals in the stream about program start

That would actually solve my problem of editing the MPEG (either TS or
PS) before watching/converting to XviD. If you find how, I'm interested
:) I use a home-made mplayer filter to write and EDL and skip the ads
while watching, but it doesn't work with MPEG, because mplayer is not
able to jump to a precise enough location in MPEG (it works well with
AVIs, though).

>   - maybe find information if the stream is interlaced or not
It's TV, and it's probably always interlaced. However, a TS is just
another multiplexing type of various streams, so once you are able to
find the video stream inside the TS, you can analyze like any other MPEG
stream (well, that's what I have understood from the code I've read, at
least).

Matthieu
--
 (~._.~)        Matthieu Weber - Université de Jyväskylä         (~._.~)
  ( ? )                email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]                  ( ? )