Matthieu Weber wrote:
> On Tue 22.06.2004 at 11:42:37PM +0200, Dirk Meyer wrote:
>> The question is: how does the length help us? We use the mpeg length
>
> It is nice to display in Freevo to show how long the movie is :)

Ok, current mmpython knows the length. And it is used to prevent
mplayer from seeking after the end of a file still growing
(recording). Since mplayer is very bad at seeking TS/PES (seek 60 sec
results in a 300 sec seek), there is a safety space you can't seek
behind. It's working ok for me.

>> to prevent the user from seeking over the end of the file with
>> mplayer. But since mplayer outputs the PES time, we don't know were we
>> are. Or do we? We know the last PES time in the stream (I hope). But
>> did we have a reset between our time and mplayer time? How often does
>> this happen?
>
> About once a day I guess (the timer runs up to 22 hours at least, from
> what I've seen here).
>
> you can calculate the maximum: 2^33 / 90000 = 95443 seconds (about
> 26hours, 30minutes and 43seconds).

I know. But it could be possible to terminate a PES and start a new
one.

>> and why don't they include ntp timestamps? And why 33 bit with some
>> marker bits to confuse me?
>
> Probably because it's the minimum amount of bits you need to get over
> 24 hours counting with a 90 kHz clock (but *why* 90 kHz beats me).

Why marker bits?

Dischi

--
Mustrum Ridcully did a lot for rare species. For one thing, he kept them rare.

                         -- (Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)