Mark Benson wrote:
Has anyone thought of supporting the MVP with freevo?

Sure have. The only problem is that I don't have one... yet. They're not in local stores here yet but I could order one online within Canada for $133.

I'm not sure exactly what it would entail as its a fairly limited little
box. It is based on a PPC with hardware mpeg1/2 chip that reads streams from
the network.

At first thought it would involve network booting or embedded kernel, mount everything using NFS, SDL support for Freevo menus, a video output driver for mplayer or xine, or just DirectFB support. Most of that work is probably already done by another project. I know people already running VDR on the MVP.

I was just curious if it was possible as I was using freevo with a dxr3 and
from what I understand freevo transcoded everything for the dxr3 (which I
guess means mpeg streams - including the menus). If that is the case it
wouldn't be a hugh step to stream that stream over the network to the MVP.

I would say this is definately doable.

The cost of the MVP is low with many vendors carrying it @ GBP £50 and its
small (smaller than a video cassette) and its quiet (no noise at all). And
to top it all off the video output is great, as good as the dxr3 on TV.

Yes, the price is right and this is the kind of frontend people need on their televisions. I have a vision of cat5 going to every TV and NOT coax. Impliment access and parental controls on the backend, etc, etc...

Anyhow, I certainly want to pick up one of those and will be willing to put some work into getting Freevo running on it.

-Rob

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email sponsored by Black Hat Briefings & Training. Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training, Las Vegas July 24-29 - digital self defense, top technical experts, no vendor pitches, unmatched networking opportunities. Visit www.blackhat.com _______________________________________________ Freevo-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freevo-users