> Mark Benson wrote:
> > Has anyone thought of supporting the MVP with freevo?
>
> Sure have.  The only problem is that I don't have one... yet.  They're
> not in local stores here yet but I could order one online within Canada
> for $133.
>
> > I'm not sure exactly what it would entail as its a fairly limited little
> > box. It is based on a PPC with hardware mpeg1/2 chip that reads streams
from
> > the network.
>
> At first thought it would involve network booting or embedded kernel,
> mount everything using NFS, SDL support for Freevo menus, a video output
> driver for mplayer or xine, or just DirectFB support.  Most of that work
> is probably already done by another project.  I know people already
> running VDR on the MVP.

I assume you mean booting the MVP with a new OS via the dongle.bin file?
Would that really be necessary? I was just looking at the re-skin-ability
of the MVP
and while it would be easy to create a skin for the MVP that looks like (the
default)
freevo skin, the remote codes are still an issue - I have found out a little
more about this
and it just appears to be server side calls... will try to find out some
more useful info on this...

> > I was just curious if it was possible as I was using freevo with a dxr3
and
> > from what I understand freevo transcoded everything for the dxr3 (which
> > guess means mpeg streams - including the menus). If that is the case it
> > wouldn't be a hugh step to stream that stream over the network to the
MVP.

> I would say this is definately doable.

Thats good news, any more info I find - i'll pass on.

> > The cost of the MVP is low with many vendors carrying it @ GBP £50 and
its
> > small (smaller than a video cassette) and its quiet (no noise at all).
And
> > to top it all off the video output is great, as good as the dxr3 on TV.
>
> Yes, the price is right and this is the kind of frontend people need on
> their televisions.  I have a vision of cat5 going to every TV and NOT
> coax.  Impliment access and parental controls on the backend, etc, etc...

The price is so right! I have cat 5 in every room in my house (usually near
a TV) and have just bought
two MVPs but the hauppague interface sucks... the gbpvr interface is nicer
but lacks the feature I would like.
Freevo and the MVP would be the 'killer app'.

What I would like to see is the MVP playing ripped DVDs and even movies
straight off the DVD.
A Basic web browser might be nice too - sometimes I just don't wanna go to
the PC to find something out quickly...
Back to Mozilla and some sort of on screen keyboard... maybe a project for
the future...

> Anyhow, I certainly want to pick up one of those and will be willing to
> put some work into getting Freevo running on it.

I am happy to help anyway I can - I'm not a great programmer, more a systems
integrator - but I have worked with many different STBs (Set top boxes)
before.

Mark