On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 10:24 +0100, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> http://www.lugradio.org/episodes/33

Listened to it the other day.  They really seemed to have a difficult
time grokking what gstreamer actually is, and the guy that knew had
trouble explaining it. :)  But lugradio is always a hoot to listen to.

> Imagine this, using gst-python we could have picture in picture, time
> shifting thumbnail/miniview video while browsing freevo, we could
> also /EASILY/ have cd/dvd ripping audio/video conversion. It would be
[...]
> Any thoughts?

All this, of course, sounds good.  And I've been keeping my left eye on
gstreamer for quite some time.  It's definitely a viable option for the
future.  But the main problem right now is that it simply lacks the
maturity of Xine and mplayer.  It's been steadily making good progress,
but until it can play at least 80% of my video collection without
crashing, it's not ready for a serious look.

Of course, I could report all those bugs, and indeed I have reported a
few, but I want to spend my hacking doing something that gives more
immediate returns, which is why I'm presently writing python bindings
for xine and developing a new canvas framework.  The design I'm using
will make it easy to plug in a new media framework like gstreamer.  So
when gst is more mature, I'll definitely have a close look.  The 0.9
release might be the one.

Cheers,
Jason.