On Sunday 15 October 2006 09:33, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> After reading a little of this thread I'm wondering what it is exactly
> you're expecting Asus to give you? If you're looking at getting the code
> for their front panel stuff then I'd think again. It is within the GPL
> to produce custom code resting on top of linux to handle whatever you
> like without having to give the code away.

What I would like to be able to do is to start with their setup and modify
it - add another tv card driver, add more programs, divert the init scripts
to do something else - all the usual things linux users try to do with their
setups.
If I then made isos of that setup and shared them around I would start
infringing their copyright. That I wouldn't be doing - I doubt I would get
very far, but left with my sons it would be all possible.
I agree that to get the code for the front panel stuff and add that into my
current setup may infringe their copyright. I think that fair use applies
here; and the degree to which this remains legal changes in different
countries.

--
"I am ... a woman ... and ... technically a parasitic uterine growth"
                -- Sean Doran the Younger [allegedly]