Stephen Rowles wrote:
> Duncan Webb wrote:
>
>> The only thing that I can think of is that freevo is using more memory
>> and you have just gone over the top of the physical memory. You can
>> check this with Dag Wieers' dstat or vmstat program.
>>
>> Duncan
>>

> Memory is a very good suggestion, I have reverted back to 1.7.1 and this
> seems more stable and my wife was able to use the media centre to watch
> several programs today without the media centre crashing. I have noticed
> that xine playback now uses less CPU than before and playback is more
> reliable and responsive.

Ok, I've finally got more memory (512meg so now plenty to spare) and got
1.7.6.1 installed. Everything seems to work, and I don't have the
nightmare case I had before where playback was not working properly (I
can skip etc. quite well), so I think I hit a memory boundary as you
suggested. So for future reference Fedora with Freevo 1.7.6 and only
128meg RAM doesn't work very well!

It still seems like playback is using more CPU than before, but I will
have to do some more testing to find out. In general the whole system is
more responsive than before, so I must have been just on the edge of
swap last time round. It still isn't as responsive as 1.7.1, but it is
just a feeling and certainly not as hideous as last time.

If I find out more I will report back.